Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

ABOUT ME...

Greetings everyone!  Thank you for taking the time to read this snippet of information about me.  It is a simple way of providing some general information about me as I inform residents of my plans to have my name stand for Area B Director.
I have lived in the Milburn Lake / Bouchie Lake area west of Quesnel since April, 2002.  I grew up in the lower mainland (Maple Ridge) in a family of 8 and after travelling abroad for a year, I attended Simon Fraser University graduating in 1991 with a Bachelor of Science in Physical Geography & Biology.  Through participating in the Co-operative Education Program whereby I obtained work experience with the Ministry of Forests in 100 Mile House, I decided to return to university to study Forestry.  In 1994 I wrote the Registration Exam and became a Registered Professional Forester.  Since that time I have worked for both the private and public sector (including First Nations) gaining experience both in the field and in administrative duties.  I have been fortunate to live in a variety of areas within BC and Alberta experiencing both small and large town life.  Although I have not been directly involved with “conventional forestry practices” since moving to the North Cariboo, I have retained by RPF status and practice forestry on our farm by managing for Non-Timber Forest Products and undertaking some forestry / agricultural diversification work.
I am married to Ted Traer and we have 2 school aged girls (ages 14 and 11).  We relocated to the North Cariboo when Ted received a transfer through work.  We chose a rural area to reside as we felt that we could embrace the lifestyle in that it a good place to raise our girls and begin a home based business.  We began our farm based business immediately upon moving to the Quesnel area and although we did not have a plan, we have managed to create a niche business based upon the opportunities that presented us and what we were knowledgeable about.  Quesnel and the surrounding area has been all that we have wanted in a place to live, work and play.
Since 2007, we have been the recipient of several awards and accomplishments which I am extremely thrilled about.  These have emphasized the fact that the choices we have made have been the right ones. We were recognized as Live Smart Heros for our efforts towards creating a more sustainable environment. In 2008 I was profiled in the book “New Pioneers – Stories of 100 BC Women Entrepreneurs” and I received the “Award of Excellence for Innovation in Agriculture and Agri‐Food” In 2007, I was honoured to receive the “2007 Innovator of the Year Award” at the Northern BC Today’s Woman Awards.  We have also received the “2007 and 2010   Home Based Business Excellence Award” at the Quesnel Business Excellence Awards and has also won a Golden Rooster Award at the last 3 Quesnel Fall Fairs.
I am a strong believer and advocate of “local” in whatever sense “local” can be defined by.  I also believe in the success of grassroots initiatives whereby people are encouraged to become engaged in activities and projects which benefit them directly.  I believe that creating healthy, sustainable, local communities is one catalyst for creating neighbourhoods which people enjoy living in. Since relocating to the Quesnel area, I have been actively involved with several volunteer based groups.  I am one of the founding members of FARMED (North Cariboo Agricultural Marketing Association / www.farmed) and have also held a volunteer position on the following organizations: Quesnel Agricultural & Exhibition Association, Bouchie Lake Recreation Commission, Baker to Bouchie Network, British Columbia Agri-tourism Alliance, Quesnel Pony Club, and most recently, the Due West Dancers.
Thank you so much.  Should you have any questions, please contact me at mmfarm@goldcity.net or 250.249.5329
As one way of sharing my views, I will be using Social Media.  I have begun a FACEBOOK site (Heloise Dixon-Warren, Candidate for CRD Area B, a BLOG (http://heloisedixonwarren.blogspot.com)and use Linkedin.  I am also available to chat to anyone on the phone and /or meet with them in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment